So I’m not the biggest T. Swift fan, but her new song “New Year’s Day” is so beautiful and poetic, that I knew it’s what I wanted to listen on the first day of the year.
It’s no secret that 2017 was a flaming pile of garbage, but I wanted to focus on some of the good things rather than the bad, and look forward to the new. There’s no sense in continuing to dwell on all of the devastating events of the year, when we can focus our efforts into making things better for the new year.
Instead of writing out long and fluffy paragraphs of the nice things that happened in 2017, I thought a nice list could suffice:
- Went skiing with two of my best friends for the first time.
- My trip to Ireland and Scotland.
- My first UNC 24hr Dance Marathon!!!
- UNC BEAT DOOK IN THE DEAN DOME!!
- UNC IS THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
- Joined a Sorority.
- Finished freshman year.
- Spent quality time with friends and family.
- Moving back to school for MY SOPHOMORE YEAR!!!!!
- Solar Eclipse bc the universe is cool sometimes.
- Stranger Things 2 and Star Wars: The Last Jedi came out. (Two things that were VERY important to the end of this year)
- Finally, I turned 20 and welcomed the new year with some pretty good company.
2017 had some serious downs, and the fall semester had a lot to do with that. But with everything that happened this year, I’m glad to be on the other side of it. And I wouldn’t change a thing. My mom and I are big believers in “everything happens for a reason”. Not in the biblical sense, but in a cosmic universe type of way. (Here is a cheeky playlist of some songs that got me through it.) I’m proud of where I am now and the person I am today.
I’m excited for 2018.
I’m excited about traveling more, learning more, and doing more. I want to continue to be an active member of society and continue to vocalize my beliefs and fight for equality. I want to write more and read more and focus on creativity in 2018. I want to actually contribute to this blog and document the exciting things I get up to this year.
Twenty-Eighteen is going to be better than the last and I truly believe it.
HNY folks and may the force be with you!
(just a few precious moments from the year)